The Victorian College for the Deaf School is a unique bilingual educational school for Deaf and Hard of Hearing children.
Our educational program focuses on language acquisition and development of the child as a whole. Programs are provided through Auslan as the language of instruction. English is approached as a second language. Both Auslan and English foster strong language foundations and literacy skills essential for lifelong success.
All subjects are taught in Auslan. English is acquired through reading and writing experiences, individual literacy programs, access to a speech / language program and rich experiential learning activities.
In consultation with families and carers, we develop individual learning plans that cater to the students’ individual learning needs. The curriculum is based on the Early Years Framework, ABLES and the Victorian Curriculum. Small classes ensure that quality educational programs are provided by highly qualified and experienced teachers of the Deaf with the help of Deaf Language Assistants.
Parents and School Working Together
We recognise and value positive parent-school partnerships to ensure educational and social well-being of each child are optimised.
We aim to:
- build and enhance respectful caring relationships between parent/carer and their child using both Auslan/English.
- raise parents’ awareness about a range of rich and positive language experiences being an important part of each child’s life.
- provide a safe non-judgemental and positive learning environment where parents/ carers can access information on how they can support their child’s language and learning needs.
Our teaching team works closely with parents as partners through daily communications including:
- teaching programs
- specialist programs
- special events
- Auslan classes and events
- Individual Learning Plan preparation
We welcome parents to our school and parents are invited to become more involved through opportunities such as volunteers, school council members, fundraisers and as parent representatives.