Our History


  • 1910 to 1975

    Written by Mr. Harry Powell, July, 1975, for the purpose of an Historical Lecture to the Institute of Special Education, Burwood. It was not until 1913 that the State Education Department “took over” the payment and training of the teachers. From reading the reports, it can be seen that the Department transferred all existing teachers on to the [...]
    Read more
  • 1860 to 1910

    “The History of the Victorian Deaf and Dumb Institution” by the Rev. Dr. Watkin On 16th February 1859, a letter appeared in the Melbourne Argus, appealing for help for the Deaf Mutes of the colony as there were no educational arrangements for these children. Other correspondence followed. Among the correspondents was Mr. Frederick John Rose from his residency in Sandhurst [...]
    Read more